As the Capital one cup semi final first leg comes to a close we look at all the results and peak ahead at the final.

The Football league cup (known as capital one in regards to its sponsors), began in 1961, with Aston Villa taking on Rotherham and winning 3-2 in the then, two leg final. Even though in the first leg Rotherham had come away 2-0 winners. Currently however the final is played over just one leg, and it is Chelsea who hold the title after beating Tottenham last year 2-0.

Out of the competitors left in this years final four teams, Chelsea does not feature, but the most successful club in the competition, that being Liverpool, 8 times winners do.

Liverpool first won the competition in 1981 and would continue to win it for four consecutive seasons till 1984, the only team ever to do 4 seasons in a row. They would meet Stoke City, who themselves have one the competition beating the holders in 1972 Chelsea 2-1.

It would seem Liverpool are trying to recreate that magic too, after they walked away with a 1-0 victory in the first leg over Stoke. The goal scorer would be substitute Jordan Ibe, who was forced to come one due to an hamstring injury to Phillipe Coutinho. His goal would however be a well worked build up play from Adam Lellana and Joe Allen, with Ibe finishing nicely with a left footed shot. Stoke would have no response with the only viable chance coming deep in stoppage time, but being wasted by Jon Walters.

End score Liverpool 1- stoke 0.

Liverpool would suffer one more injury also during the match with Dejan Lovren having to be taken off also with a hamstring injury.

In Wednesday's game, Manchester City would meet Everton. Manchester City are no strangers to this competition, winning three times and coming in second place once.

Their last victory came over Sunderland 3-0 in 2014. Everton however have always been so close, yet so far, having twice reached the final once against Aston Villa in 1977 losing 3-2, and against this years semi-finalists Liverpool in 84 losing there 1-0.

Everton would take the lead first in the match however scoring just before half time after Ramiro Fumes Mori sent a sweet shot down the middle of the goal.

75 minutes in would see Manchester city respond with a Sergio Aguero break away run allowed him to slip a nice through pass to Jesus Navas, who slotted home the ball.

Everton though did not take long to fight back just two minutes later Gareth Barry's cross found the head of Romelu Lukaku and Everton were back in the lead again. They would leave the stadium the victors, with the final scare staying Everton 2 Manchester city 1.

The second leg games will be played: Liverpool v Stoke 26th January and Everton v City 27th.

bradford city v scunthorpe