Wigan Athletic are promotion hopefuls in League one but they had their hands full at relegation bound club Crewe.

With Wigan's latest performances showing that they have the grit and determination to leave the league one behind, come the end of the season, its no surprise that any club that plays them, already know its a game on their hands. However at Crewe on Saturday Wigan showed why they are a class outfit. With only Crewe Keeper Ben Garrett keeping the relegation bound side in the game to come away with a point.

Wigan showed they had not only the pressure but the skill and class, which by rights should have seen them walk away with all three points if not for the superb goal keeping skill shown from Crewe keeper Garrett.

Wigan would take first spoil, when at 15 minute, mark Max power would set up Reece Wabara for a blistering 25 yard shot fired superbly into the top right hand corner.

21 minutes would see Wigan again try to extend the lead through Jordy Hiwula-Mayifuila but his right footed strike would be saved by Garrett. Both Mark Jacobs and Yanic Wildschut would also call upon Garrett's skills as a keeper in the first half, Wigan just could not find away passed the keeper to add any more to the tally.

Crewe however would level things before the break when Ryan Colclough would set up Bradden Inman for a right footed strike. Crwew went into the break at 1-1.

Wigan would take first bite of the cherry in the second half as the upped the pressure on Crewe.

Yanic Wildschut would first hit the post. A minute later however Crewe would respond through Ryan colclough's tight angle shot, which although close, missed agonizingly to the left of the goal.

Between 60 and 61 minutes Wigan would pile on the pressure, not letting Crewe keeper Garett breath for a second, with three shots on target in quick succession.

Two of which came from Yanic Wildschut and one from Haris Vuckic, all saved impressively by Garrett.

72 minutes saw Crewe have the best chance to take all three points when George Cooper's excellent right footed shot would call for a save from Wigan keeper Jaaskelainen.

75 minutes saw Yanic Wildschut in front of Wigan goal again but his header from the corner kick would sail just over the bar.

85 minutes in and Max Power would come close to giving Wigan the lead by firing from outside the box but missed close to the left.

90 minutes in Wigan would really turn up the pressure on Crewe and it looked certain that they would not be able to with stand it. Craig Davies had two fantastic shots saved and Max Power would also have a shot saved from Garrett. Crewe would ride out the pressure to come away with a valuable point.

Wigan however put on a master class of Football in the game and showed why they are the hotly picked for a return to Championship football. The game may have ended 1-1, but if the Crewe keeper had not been in such fine form, what a different score line it could have been.

liverpool vs manchester united

crewe vs Bradford