Some NRL stars come to the English game and settle in seamlessly and, on some occasions, hit better form in England than they did Down Under. The likes of Grant Millington, Adam Cuthbertson, Albert Kelly and Steve Menzies have thrived in the Super League. Yet, a few that have made their name in the southern hemisphere fail to impress in the Super League. Here are the five examples that stand out the most.

Kevin Locke

Fullback Kevin Locke had been on the books of NRL side New Zealand Warriors for six-and-a-half years before Salford Red Devils - then bankrolled by Marwan Koukash - secured an early contract release to bring Locke to Lancashire midway through the 2014 season.

Though Locke had been a part of the Warriors' second-tier NSW Cup side in 2014 with Sam Tomkins being preferred at No.1, the capture of the eight-capped New Zealand international sent shockwaves throughout the sport. Koukash referred to Locke as "the jewel in the crown" of the new-look Salford side.

And, when the Auckland-born Locke made his debut against Huddersfield in July 2014, scoring a try and kicking six goals in a 10-36 whitewash, Koukash's prediction looked bang on the money. However, Locke would go on to play just 13 games for the Red Devils and would hand in his resignation barely a year after signing. In late June 2015, Locke made the move to Wakefield Trinity, but, blighted by injury, he played just five games and left Trinity at the end of September 2015.

Willie Mason

Willie Mason had made over 200 NRL appearances, appeared 24 times for Australia and was just 30 when Hull KR won the race for his signature in September 2010. However, there were initial problems which would set the tone for Mason's stay on Humberside. His arrival was delayed by visa and passport complications, and it wasn't until March when finally made his debut.

However, it looked like the wait was worth it as Mason put in a man-of-the-match performance as KR brushed aside Celtic Crusaders.

Sadly for the Robins, things quickly deteriorated; Mason handed in a transfer request after traveling to France to discuss a potential switch to Rugby Union side Toulon. In turn, Rovers saw this as a breach of contract, de-registered the player in order to re-register injured half-back Michael Dobson, before stopping his pay.

After just six appearances for the Robins and just six months into a three-year contract, Mason’s spell in Super League was over before it had really begun. Then, in February 2016, Mason came back for one final hurrah with Catalans Dragons, signing a one-year deal. However, 14 matches in and Mason suffered a season-ending injury. As such, the 36-year-old left the Dragons by mutual consent in August 2016.

Brent Sherwin

Brent Sherwin had been something of an NRL magician whilst at Canterbury Bulldogs. Known for his quick thinking, brilliant kicking and running game and the ability to organise a team like few others, scrum-half Sherwin arrived at struggling Super League side Castleford Tigers ahead of the 2008 season in a blaze of publicity.

Yet, the form which Bulldogs' supporters had been accustomed to in his 191 games he played for the club was never rediscovered in England.

In two-and-a-half years with the Tigers, Sherwin played 52 times; most of his time at the club was spent on the sideline, and, aged 30, it appeared as though he had come to England for one last paycheque. Overweight and rather cumbersome in the middle of the field, his nickname - which he had rightly earned in Australia - "Shifty" - seemed an ironic jest at someone whose best playing days were way back in the past. And, in a bizarre switch, Sherwin joined French side Catalans in May 2010, but, having made just five appearances at the back end of that season for the Dragons, returned to Australia.

Matt Orford

By 2010, the Bradford Bulls' Super League decline was already evident, with the club's last trophy coming in the 2006 World Club Challenge. In a desperate attempt to rediscover their silverware-winning formula, Bradford brought in Australian half-back Matt Orford. The move was considered a huge coup at the time - he came to Bradford just a year after his Dally M Medal-winning season, awarded for guiding the Manly Sea Eagles to the NRL title.

However, Orford struggled at the Bulls, making just 12 appearances before suffering a shoulder injury in a Magic Weekend defeat to the Crusaders. Unfortunately for Bradford, this was to be his last appearance in the English game, with the club releasing Orford at the end of the 2010 season after the half-back had requested a move, just a year into a three-year deal.

Orford returned to the NRL and joined Canberra, where he again struggled with injury, playing just six times before he was released from his contract at the end of 2011. It was a sad decline for a former Premiership and Dally M Medal winner.

Wade McKinnon

Prior to his move to Hull FC, Wade McKinnon had built a reputation Down Under as an impressive, ball-handling fullback. And, when the ex-South Sydney, Parramatta and New Zealand Warriors man was released from the final year of his Wests Tigers deal so he could move to England, big things were expected on Humberside. And, after racking up over 150 NRL appearances in ten seasons, McKinnon had a wealth of experience behind him.

However, four months into the season and just six months into a three-year contract, McKinnon was on his way back to Australia. After failing to settle at Hull and after making just 10 appearances, both parties decided to part ways with McKinnon citing personal reasons for his decision to leave.