At approximately 7:45 am (EST), an explosion was reported at 42nd Street and Eighth Avenue near Manhattan’s Port Authority in New York City.

The area was immediately evacuated and the space around the Port Authority and Times Square have been cordoned off.

A large police and emergency personnel presence are currently in the area and the anti-terrorism response has been activated.

Updates on the Attack

Initial reports were of one injured and one person arrested. An interview from CNN has reported that the person who was arrested is also the person injured.

The suspect was believed to have a crude homemade pipe Bomb and/or a suicide vest that went off prematurely, injuring the male suspect in the stomach. If confirmed, this would be the first attempted terrorist attack using a suicide vest in the continental U.S.

Later it is was confirmed that there were four injuries reported including the attacker. None of the injuries are life-threatening.

The attacker is believed to be a male in his 20's and from Bangladesh.

The location of the explosion was in the pedestrian tunnel of the passenger walkway near the Port Authority. Witnesses say he was walking through the tunnel when the device prematurely exploded injuring the suspect.

This is being treated as an ongoing situation.

It has not been confirmed as of now if the attack was a lone wolf attack or a more coordinated operation.

Delays Reported

The event occurred during the early rush hours and has caused delays in public transportation in and out of the city. The roads in Manhattan have been locked down for emergency transport to easily access the area.

Subway lines A, C and E are now evacuated and closed. The smell of the bomb is still prevalent in the area.

During an interview with CNN witness Francisco Ramirez, he said "From what I saw it sounded like it came from the subway, but I'm just guessing. "It was two distinct explosions seconds from each other. As I was making my way toward the outside, I kept getting shoved by cops and there were cops at every entrance blocking and there were police and SWAT everywhere."

"The PA system was still blaring Christmas carols.

It took about four minutes before men in black cop uniforms started shooing people out of Port Authority. As I walked further away from the building, I kept asking the heavily armed cops what it was. They said 'suspicious package, " said witness Marlyn Yu Sherlock.