Castleford enjoyed a relatively successful era in the 1960s; the club won the Challenge Cup once in 1969 (though they followed this up with a successive defence of their title in 1970), the BBC2 Floodlit Trophy three times in the 1965-66, 1966-67 and 1967-68 seasons and won the Yorkshire County League once - during the 1964-65 season.

In the first two Northern Rugby Football League seasons of the decade - 1960-61 and 1961-62 - Castleford finished 17th and 12th out of 30 teams respectively. Then, when the 30-strong league split into the First and Second Division for the next three seasons, Castleford finished fourth, sixth and third out of 16 teams in the top flight.

The 1964-65 season saw the reintroduction of a 30-man league, with Castleford performing brilliantly - the club recorded an average 5.4 finish across the next five seasons.

Whilst the 1960s was a revolutionary era in society in general, the decade also witnessed a dramatic transformation in the game of Rugby League. With the likes of St Helens' Len Killeen, Leeds' Bev Risman, Castleford's "H-bombs", Wakefield's Neil Fox all making waves in the 1960s, the sport became played at a much faster pace, with greater skill and attacking prowess.

A number of rule changes also came in that Rugby League still honours today; substitutes were introduced in 1964 and were initially only for players injured in the time up to and including half-time.

Unlimited tackles ended in 1966, with a four-tackle rule brought in - it stayed at four until 1972 when it was increased to six, whilst tactical substitutions were allowed for the first time in the second-half of games from 1969.

During the 1960s, Castleford produced some magnificent Rugby League players and the talent which came through the ranks in this era means that the likes of Clive Dickinson, Keith Howe, Roger Millward, Mick Redfearn, John Sheridan and Ron Willett all miss out on a place in the top five.

Malcolm Reilly - though he burst onto the scene in the late 1960s - has already been included in the five best of the 1970s.

Bill Bryant

Born on 22 December 1940, William "Bill" Bryant enjoyed playing Rugby League at an early age with amateur club Normanton ARLFC before he was snapped up by Castleford. Over the course of a 13-year career with Castleford, Bryant played 253 games, scoring 75 tries.

A formidable second-rower with the size and strength that many modern-day forwards would be envious of, Bryant made a name for himself as one of the toughest back-rowers in the country whilst at Castleford.

It was no surprise therefore that Bryant, just 23 years of age, won his first Yorkshire call-up and Great Britain cap in 1964. He would go on to make six appearances overall for his county and five for his nation. Bryant - a no-nonsense, metre-eating forward - was a vital figure in Castleford's Yorkshire County League success in 1964-65 as well as the three consecutive BBC2 Floodlit Trophy successes in the mid-to-late '60s. Bryant would surely have played in Castleford's 1969 Challenge Cup winning success if he had not broken his leg in heartbreaking fashion just weeks before the final.

It was an injury he never got over - Bryant retired in 1970.

Derek Edwards

A diminutive fullback, Derek Edwards was yet another Castleford player to come from the surrounding area and yet another one that would go on to have an impressive career at his boyhood club. Edwards made his debut in 1960 and would go on to have an illustrious 12-year stay at Castleford, scoring 38 tries in 309 games. For his small stature, Edwards had a huge heart, and epitomised the love for the club that all local Castleford lads had back then.

He became so important to the Castleford side of the 1960s that he earned both county and national call-ups, appearing five times for Yorkshire and five times for Great Britain in the late '60s/early '70s.

A wily yet strong No.1, Edwards linked up seamlessly with the "H-bombs" at half-back to give Castleford another attacking dimension in an era where such flair that the Castleford side produced was still a relatively new concept. Whilst at the club, Edwards won two Challenge Cups and three BBC2 Floodlit Trophies.

Alan Hardisty

One of the "H-bombs" alongside Keith Hepworth, Alan Hardisty was born on 12 July 1941 in Pontefract and grew up in the mining town of Castleford - just like the majority of Castleford players back then. Hardisty is in the history books at Castleford, ranking fourth in the club's all-time appearance list with a remarkable 401 as well as the most career tries with 206. Alongside 206 tries, stand-off Hardisty also converted 78 goals and kicked an impressive 42 drop-goals.

Throughout the 1960s, Hardisty was an integral player for the club, striking up an astonishingly good partnership with half-back Keith Hepworth which forced local playmaker Roger Millward to look elsewhere - Millward departed for Hull KR in 1966 after 40 appearances for Castleford. Hardisty was an incredible ball-handler and organiser of the team and it was no surprise that he won representative honours. He appeared five times for Yorkshire, scoring three tries and earned 12 Great Britain caps with nine tries to his name.

In his 13 years in the first-team, Hardisty captained Castleford to two Challenge Cups (1969 and 1970), the Yorkshire County League (1964-65) and three BBC2 Floodlit Trophies whilst his impressive form proved crucial to Castleford's brilliant league performances towards the end of the decade - the club finished second in the 1969-70 season.

Hardisty would also go on to coach Castleford for four months from December 1970 to April 1971 and play for Leeds from 1971 until retiring in 1974.

Dennis Hartley

From a master tactician to a burly animal, Dennis Hartley was born on 9 April 1936. The barnstorming prop forward actually began his career at Doncaster - whom he played 120 times for between 1956 and 1960 - and then moved to Hunslet, playing 202 games for the club over a six-year period before moving to Castleford in 1966. Though he had been impressive at his previous two clubs, it was at Wheldon Road where Hartley showed the credentials of an international-class forward, throwing off his opponents and punching holes in defensive lines.

Hartley would go on to play 268 times for Castleford from 1966, scoring 15 tries and, unusually, kicking one goal and a drop-goal. The devastating forward won four Yorkshire call-ups and earned one England cap and 11 Great Britain caps, scoring one try whilst turning out for the latter.

An aggressive, physical character and one that put the fear of God into his opponents, Hartley became a crucial figure for Castleford in the late 1960s. He played prop in Castleford's two Challenge Cup successes in 1969 and 1970 as well as two of the club's BBC2 Floodlit Trophy successes in the 1966-67 and 1967-68 seasons. The term "big, nasty prop" gets banded about too often in Rugby League circles at the minute, but Hartley epitomised the phrase - the opposition often shuddered at the thought of mixing it with the intimidating forward.

Keith Hepworth

The second part of the "H-bombs" duo, Keith Hepworth was born in the Castleford area and progressed through the Castleford ranks to make his debut in 1958. Over the course of 14 years, the intelligent scrum-half would play 329 games for the club, scoring 66 tries and kicking six goals and 14 drop-goals. Throughout the '60s, Hepworth formed a deadly partnership with Alan Hardisty; whilst Hardisty controlled proceedings, Hepworth was usually the one dancing round the field trying to find an opening. Hepworth was integral in Castleford's cup and league exploits during the '60s, despite Hardisty tending to get most of the glory.

Alongside Hardisty, Hepworth won the Yorkshire County League during the 1964-65 season, the two Challenge Cups at the end of the decade as well as two of the BBC2 Floodlit Trophy successes in 1966-67 and 1967-68.

Ironically, it was the Hull KR legend Roger Millward that played at scrum-half for Castleford's first BBC2 Floodlit Trophy success in the 1965-66 season, keeping Hepworth out of the side.

At Castleford, Hepworth earned six Yorkshire call-ups and 11 Great Britain caps. In 1972, Hepworth moved to local rivals Leeds, pulling the curtain down a fantastic career with his boyhood club just a year after Leeds had poached other superstar half-back Alan Hardisty. A skilful, yet physical half-back, Hepworth was responsible for one of the most shocking moments in Challenge Cup history, breaking the jaw of Wigan fullback Colin Tyrer in the 1970 final - a hit which Hepworth went unpunished for. However, he will always go down as a Castleford legend for the way in which he fought tooth and nail for the club throughout his career.