It will forever be a day that will live long in the memory of everyone association with Sutton United. Arsenal reached the FA Cup Quarter-Finals after seeing off the non-league side, who are 105 places below the Gunners, at Gander Green Lane.

Sutton started brightly and frustrated their Premier League opposition for the first 25 minutes of the game, but Lucas Perez’s low cross found the far corner to break the deadlock. The visitors doubled their lead when Walcott swept home Nacho Monreal’s low cross just 10 minutes into the second-half.

Sutton captain Jamie Collins almost handed his side a way back into the game before Roarie Deacon smashed a shot from 25-yards off the crossbar just after the hour mark – the closest the hosts came to getting on the scoresheet in the second-half.

Arsenal will go against another non-league side in Lincoln City, who beat Burnley on Saturday afternoon, in the Quarter-Finals of the FA Cup at the Emirates Stadium.

Arsenal go ahead through Lucas Perez

Sutton’s FA Cup journey began back in October when they scored late to overcome Forest Green Rovers at the Lane. They have seen of the likes of AFC Wimbledon and Leeds United to set up the tie with the Gunners – and the hosts started the game well. The first chance of the game fell the way of the visitors with Mohamed Elneny firing over the crossbar from outside the area. As the game progressed, the hosts began to grow in confidence, but the Gunners struck midway through the first-half.

Arsene Wenger’s side, who have came under scrutiny after the thumping against Bayern Munich, broke quickly from their own area with Granit Xhaka releasing Lucas down the right.

The Spanish forward cut back onto his left foot and drove a low cross into the area, which nestled into the far corner after Theo Walcott did just enough to put Ross Worner off. Arsenal were finding more space when they were going forward and could have doubled their lead two minutes later, but Walcott, who ran at the heart of the hosts’ defence, fired just over the bar.

Sutton continued to hold their own and the Gunners’ next chance didn’t come until four minutes before half-time, but Alex Iwobi’s shot deflected wide.

Sutton’s chance to level fell on the stroke of half-time, Ospina’s gifted the ball to May after the Sutton player latched onto a poor clearance.

May drove into the penalty area and sliced his shot wide of the post – letting the Arsenal ‘keeper off as the Gunners took their one-goal lead into the break as Michael Oliver brought the half to a close.

Theo Walcott nets 100th goal for Arsenal after half-time

The visitors doubled their lead 10 minutes into the second-half when Monreal was played in down the left hand side of the penalty area. The defender played a low cross across the six-yard area and Walcott, who was captain for the game, swept the ball into the net to give the Gunners a bit more breathing space.

Arrears could have been halved when Sutton started pushing for a way back into the game, firstly, May teed up Maime Biamou, who could only strike at Ospina.

The ‘keeper misjudged a corner three minutes later and a towering header from Sutton skipper Collins went inches over the bar, and the packed Lane had their head in their hands. The hosts were enjoying themselves once more and another chance fell their way just after the hour mark when Deacon rifled his shot from 25-yards off the crossbar.

Substitute Alex Oxlade Chamberlain sailed past two challenges before delivering a fizzing cross into the area on 68 minutes, but Walcott couldn’t get onto the end of it. The Gunners introduced Chile international Alexis Sanchez for the closing stages of the game and he came close to getting on the scoresheet when he tried an audacious lob, but fortunately for Sutton ‘keeper Worner, the ball sailed over the bar. Arsenal closed the game out and will face Lincoln in the next round, but Sutton can hold their heads high after a brave display against a Premier League side.