On May 30th Twickenham Stadium welcomed 80,500 fans to watch the tantalising encounter between the two stand out sides of what has been a vintage season of English Rugby. With Saracens making the short trip from north London you would be forgiven for thinking that HQ was almost a home ground; but the loyal West Country Bath fans came in their droves and the stadium was filled with the familiar blue, white and black stripes of the Bath strip. As the 14:30 kick off clicked to on the stadium clock there wasn't a silent spectator in the stands.

Saracens may have worn their changed strip but they turned up with their familiar resilient defence and determined backs.

Bath suffered an early blow when their full back and England International, Anthony Watson left the pitch with a head injury and didn't return for the rest of the game. Much was being said of the matchup between Farrell and Ford and Farrell made an early mark on his card when he scored the first try of the match just 5 minutes into the game. Farrell pushed the ball on and looped the player to receive the ball, give the show and go and had good foot work to take him over the line. He followed his try up with his first shot at the post to convert and put Saracens 7 points ahead. Jamie George had been in the news must have impressed Lancaster, who was watching in the stands, by the turn of speed Jamie George showed when scoring Saracens 2nd try.

The 3rd first half try from Saracens showed a piece of fantastic footballing skill from the recalled England winger Strettle who started a piece of play that saw Saracens use the width of the pitch before putting Wyles in over the line. Bath did win a penalty after Goode impeded Rokoduguni as he made a break down the line.

At the half time whistle Saracens led Bath 25 to 3 points.

There was a much improved Bath in the 2nd half, and 55 minutes in when Jonathan Joseph went over for Baths first try of the game, it looked like fortunes were changing. Bath continued to hold Saracens off but at the time couldn't penetrate what is easily the best defensive team in the premiership.

Ford got Bath another 3 points from a penalty and going in to the 4th quarter there was just a 9 point difference. Farrell quickly retuned the 3 points and it seemed Bath had left their comeback too late in the game. With the game firmly in their hands, Charlie Hodgson went for a drop goal in the 77th minute which just missed, but when Bath were then penalised for a forward pass the Saracen's bench started to shake hands as the inevitable clicked ever closer. A scrum just in from the touchline went Saracens way and the ball was kicked out. Wayne Barnes blew the full time whistle and the Saracens players began their celebrations having beaten Bath 28 points to 16 points.

It was a bad day at the office for George Ford who, although he didn't do anything wrong, came off on the wrong side of his tussle with Owen Farrell who was awarded Man Of The Match.

The final lived up to its billing with a great show of rugby. With the world cup just a matter of months away it was interesting to see the number of players on the pitch that have been called up in to the England squad by Lancaster. The England head coach has a lot to be pleased about as he enters the crucial part of his world cup preparation.

England call ups aside Twickenham opened its gates and the best of British entered. Saracens, victors over Bath, leave as Aviva Premiership winners 2015.