This abandoned church belonged to the Friendship Baptist Congregation for nearly 100 years. Built by former slaves in 1886, it is one of the oldest buildings in the Southwest. However, when developers bulldozed the area for public housing projects and freeways, the church became abandoned. It is now the heart of the community again after it was bought by a developer, who was not allowed to pull it down. It now has a colourful mural around it and is home to a gallery of rotating art exhibits.