Washington had a network of streetcars for almost 100 years. The Dupont Circle Station opened in 1949 and was the only station built underground. The station ran until 1962 when the Metro train system came into operation. It was used temporarily as a fallout shelter during the Cold War, but the tunnels were sealed off in 1975. However, they were reopened and the 75,000 sq ft station is now an artists’ haven, with light and sound art installations.