Andy Murray was in commanding form at the Queen's Club on Sunday, as the British number one prepared perfectly for Wimbledon by claiming a record-equalling fourth title. After completing his semi-final in the morning against Viktor Troicki, he returned in the afternoon to defeat South African Kevin Anderson in straight sets in the final, showing few signs of fatigue despite his action-packed day. His victory also maintained the symmetry of winning the title every other year, after previous successes in 2009, 2011 and 2013

Semi-final carried over

The world number three's last-four clash with Troicki had been suspended on Saturday due to rain, with the scores tied at 3-3 in the first set.

Not the best set of circumstances for Murray, given that Anderson had already completed his match against the Frenchman Gilles Simon earlier in the day.

Murray seemed intent on a quick kill against Troicki when the semi-final resumed on Sunday, taking the first three games to snatch the first set 6-3. It proved a far trickier task in set two, as Troicki's serve became a powerful ally to the Serbian's ambitions of pushing the match into a deciding set. Both men held their ground to force the lottery of the tie-break.

Knowing that losing the set would not only put the semi-final outcome in the balance, but also severely hamper his chances in the final, Murray re-focussed his energies. His opponent succumbed to the pressure to allow Murray to take the tie-break 7-4 and with it the match 6-3 7-6.

Challenge of Anderson

A few hours later, only partially rested after his earlier exertions, Murray was back on court again. This time his challenge was how to break down the big serve from a giant of a man, given that his rival Anderson had already aced his way past the French Open champion Stan Wawrinka. At least the games were likely to be short, with the South African's style best suited to quick points.

Break in first set

Despite his unseeded opponent's powerful delivery, the Brit demonstrated just why he is one of the best returners in the business. A break of serve was grabbed in the fourth game, the result of a gorgeous backhand to earn the break point, followed by a wasteful volley by Anderson into the net. It proved decisive as the Scot maintained his focus to take the set.

Mixing his play up

Murray continued to move his opponent around the court, not allowing the 6'8" man to settle into a rhythm of play for too long. He cleverly mixed up deft drop shots with one of the favourite shots in his armoury, the lob. No easy task against such a tall player, but he played it to perfection.

Title confirmed

Set two was similarly clinically taken by the Brit, as he seized on the opportunity afforded to him at 2-2 on Anderson's serve. Once again it was the lob followed by drop shot combination that served him so well to ease into a 3-2 lead. He was in pole position and not about to relinquish his advantage, ultimately serving out for the set to confirm an easier than expected 6-3 6-4 victory.

It had taken just 64 minutes to claim the Aegon Championships' title and his battle plan had clearly worked out perfectly.

Federer win in Halle

Although he will face sterner challenges at Wimbledon, this was a perfect workout for Murray and he will hope for a repeat of his 2013 double at the All England Club in July. Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer, who also won at his traditional pre-Wimbledon tournament in Halle at the weekend, lie in wait for Murray.