The final day of the Championship season saw the remaining questions answered at both the top and bottom of the table. After being in pole position going into the last set of fixtures, Watford relinquished their title hopes as Bournemouth were crowned champions instead. Derby County were the major losers in the play-off battle, being replaced in the top six positions by Brentford. Millwall, Wigan Athletic and Blackpool were already relegated. Blackpool's final home game against Huddersfield Town was dramatically abandoned though after a major crowd disturbance.

Title for Bournemouth

Watford and Bournemouth had already clinched their automatic promotion to the Premier League before their lunchtime kick-offs. There was still the small matter of who would go up as the champions to decide though. After a long 46-game campaign, it was Eddie Howe's 'Cherries' who ultimately took the honours. Their resounding 3-0 away success at Charlton Athletic took them a point ahead of Watford, who could only manage a 1-1 draw at home to Sheffield Wednesday.

Au revoir Derby, bonjour Brentford

With Norwich City and Middlesbrough guaranteed a play-off spot, the final two places were still very much in the balance. Ipswich Town and Derby County were both surprisingly beaten to open the door to the teams below them.

It was Brentford who profited the most, a 3-0 home victory over relegated Wigan propelling them up to 5th place. Blackburn's 3-2 defeat of Ipswich pushed Mick McCarthy's side down to 6th, but they remained above Wolves on goal difference.

Derby's comprehensive 3-0 reversal at home to Reading condemned them to another year in the Championship, as they dropped to 8th.

Norwich leapfrogged Boro through a 4-2 victory at Carrow Road to sneak into 3rd place. Boro slipped to 4th after a disappointing 0-0 draw at home to Brighton.

Those last day movements ensured an East Anglian derby between Norwich and Ipswich in one of the play-offs, with Middlesbrough set to take on Brentford in the other two-legged semi-final.

The two winners will then play each other at Wembley in the play-off final, promotion to the Premier League being the prize for the successful side.

Chaotic scenes at Blackpool

Blackpool's torrid season continued when their game with the Terriers was abandoned shortly after half-time, as fan protests prompted a removal of the players from the pitch. The protesting home fans at Bloomfield Road invaded the pitch in their masses, with the game locked at 0-0.

The referee Mick Russell delayed the resumption by over an hour, before determining that the game could not continue. A decision has yet to be made on whether the match will be replayed at a later date or not. There may yet be further ramifications on Blackpool, as the incident followed a previous one during the home game against Reading.

That time fans threw fireworks and eggs.

A replay would make no difference to the home side, as they have known for several weeks that they would be playing in League One next season. Huddersfield could yet gain some local pride by gaining all three points, as that would lift them above rivals Leeds United into 15th place.