With just three weeks of the season to go, Aitor Karanka and his side continue to battle it out in the Championship, as the fight at the top gets tighter. We will know Boro's Premier League fate by around 2.15pm on Saturday 2nd May, when they host Brighton for the final game of the season.

It doesn't look like the side will seal an automatic promotion spot before then, with all of the other Premiership hopefuls on similar points but Karanka has always insisted that the nerve-racking quest for promotion will be decided on the final day of the season.

The head coach only needs to look to his assistant, who certainly has experience of that final day drama. Steve Agnew went through every emotion possible when Hull hosted already promoted Cardiff City on the final day of the season back in 2013. "You couldn't write it" was the phrase bouncing around the KC stadium on that Saturday afternoon in May.

The Championship's promotion plot ended like this: Three pitch invasions, two penalties - one of which was missed - and then an agonising twelve minute delay before the final outcome. For an hour until injury time, Paul McShane's goal had forced Steve Bruce's team into a lead.

Nick Proschwitz, scorer of an earlier equaliser, had an opportunity to make promotion certain with a penalty as the clock ticked into the 90th minute.

Instead, he missed and Cardiff ploughed into Hull's half, and were awarded a penalty of their own following a handball by Abdoulaye Faye. Nicky Maynard soon converted, and the spirit at the KC stadium had become greater, as it became a nail biter.

The atmosphere transformed. Nobody seemed to know what was happening at Watford - a neck injury to Jonathan Bond meant their game would finish late.

One-minute home supporters were careering across the pitch; next, they stood motionless, wondering what was going to transpire.

Agnew, Bruce and the rest of the squad awaited their fate in the longest twelve minutes of their lives. They watched their outcome unfold in front of the television, whilst fans hesitated to celebrate together on the pitch.

Leeds equalised meaning City were pretty much promoted as long as the Yorkshire side steered Watford clear from their penalty area. After The Tigers secured an eventful draw, the same would do at Vicarage Road, and when Leeds went 2-1 up with only minutes to go, the KC stadium roared with delight. The news had filtered through about Ross McCormack's chip over Watford's third-choice keeper, Jack Bonham, who could only fingertip the ball up and over the line

"The tension was unbearable and adrenaline was pumping around the KC as emotions had been up and down all afternoon," says Agnew.

As the final whistle blew at Vicarage Road, the Stadium shook as fans celebrated the victory whilst the staff and players celebrated before TV screens in the tunnel.

Hull's promotion ultimately came down to the maths.

"It was an incredible sequence of events that I doubt we will ever see in the game again," Agnew adds.

The assistant coach insists that Boro have the class and commitment in their squad to make the final games count towards their promotion push, starting with their home clash against Wolves tomorrow night.

"I'm confident we will be all right," says Agnew.

"I'm optimistic about this Football club because we have an excellent group of lads in our dressing room, very similar to the tight nit group we had at Hull.

"Aitor maintains a feeling of togetherness and optimism amongst the squad and there is a lot of positivity around the training ground at the moment. We all know we have to relish this opportunity," he added.

Middlesbrough take on Wolves tomorrow night (Tuesday) where they must grab a home win in order to push for an automatic promotion place.