The reigning Super League champions St Helens staged a comeback to overcome a plucky Widnes Vikings side last night by 30-20 at the Halton Stadium. They trailed to the home side at the break, but had too much firepower for their hosts in the second period. As a result, the Saints bounced back to the top of Super League, when Leeds Rhinos were beaten for the first time this season at Warrington Wolves by 18-6. Leeds' full-back Zak Hardaker was dropped for the match, pending a Police investigation into an alleged assault. The other match of the night saw Wigan Warriors end a two-match losing streak in the league, edging out Hull FC 13-12.

Saints continued their five-match winning start to the season, maintaining their 100% record despite Widnes putting up a strong performance against them. The home side enjoyed a half-time lead by 14-6 after scoring tries from Eamon O'Carroll and the New Zealand-born Patrick Ah Van, with Saints' try coming from their own resident New Zealander Lance Hohaia. The defending champions were much more like their usual selves after the break, running out convincing winners as Atelea Vea, Luke Thompson and Jordan Turner all crossed for tries. Hohaia also scored his second try of the night for them as Widnes' hooker Aaron Heremaia pulled a try back for the home side.

Leeds had gone into their game with the Wolves as league leaders, but were far from their best on the night, in the wake of the dropping of Hardaker and the introduction of teenager Ashton Golding into the side.

Whether the police probe surrounding their usual full-back had any impact on their display is unclear, but they looked like being kept off the scoreboard completely for large spells of the match. They trailed 12-0 at the break, repeating their lethargy in earlier games this season, although winger Ryan Hall will have been disappointed to knock on with the line seemingly at his mercy.

The home side capitalised with two tries from Kevin Penny and the impressive Stefan Ratchford, both of which he converted himself. The Wolves' defence held firm after the break, as Leeds eventually applied some pressure on them, but as desperation seemed to come into their play, an error allowed Ryan Atkins to go over to extend the deficit.

Leeds did eventually avoid the ignominy of not scoring, with a fluent team try that saw Tom Briscoe race under the posts, and another try disallowed by the video ref, but it was far too little, too late. Warrington went third with their win.

The news on Hardaker is that both he and teammate Elliot Minchella are believed to be due to be interviewed by the police, after an alleged assault of a man in Leeds in early February this year. The Rhinos announced that both players were "co-operating fully" with the police and their investigations.

Wigan finally got another league win under their belts, after successive losses to Hull KR and Castleford Tigers in recent weeks. They also lost to Brisbane Broncos in the World Club Series, as their early season form has looked 'patchy' at best.

Despite moving into a commanding 12-0 lead in the first-half thanks to tries from Joel Tomkins and Dan Sarginson, they had to suffer a nervy finish in the end before claiming a single point success. Hull's try scorers on the night were Fetuli Talanoa and Callum Lancaster, but it was the all-important extra point from the drop-goal by Matty Smith scored between the tries for the visitors, that cannily edged the game Wigan's way.