Both Castleford Tigers and Huddersfield Giants recorded their first victories of the new Super League season last night, after three morale-sapping defeats. Cas upset the highly fancied Wigan Warriors at 'The Jungle', Wheldon Road, while Huddersfield produced a dominant second-half display to overcome Widnes Vikings at the John Smith's Stadium. In the other match of the night, St Helens only just maintained their 100% record with a fourth straight success against Wakefield Wildcats, to move level at the top with Leeds Rhinos but behind them on points difference.

Castleford Tigers beat Wigan Warriors 42-14 (half-time 22-4) to finally get their season off and running, after three previous defeats in the league. Cas were always in control of the game as they put last year's Grand Final runners-up to the sword on home soil, racking up three tries inside the first quarter of an hour, as winger Justin Carney helped himself to a brace of tries. The home side scored seven tries in total, with additional scores for James Clare, Luke Dorn, Liam Finn, Oliver Holmes and Michael Shenton, as they belied their low table position prior to the game. Wigan were well beaten on the night, but did have the small consolation of two tries for Josh Charnley and another one from Matty Smith.

Huddersfield Giants have been steadily improving over recent weeks, despite losing their first three matches, so their victory over Widnes Vikings maybe wasn't that unexpected. It was still a relief for the West Yorkshire side to clinch a 24-12 triumph though. With the scores level at half-time 6-6, the home fans may have been slightly concerned that another bad night might be on the cards.

Each side had scored a try apiece, with Joe Mellor crossing for Widnes and Scott Grix for the home side. The Giants proved too strong for their opponents after the interval, outscoring them by four tries to one, as Huddersfield ran out comfortable victors. Giants' try scoring heroes were Jermaine McGillvary, Joe Wardle (twice) and some-time television pundit Eorl Crabtree.

A late consolation try for the visitors was grabbed by Manase Manuokafoa.

There was another victory for unbeaten St Helens away at Wakefield, but they had to stage a comeback before the success was theirs. The hosts led 12-6 after forty minutes, as they replied in kind to Paul Wellens' opening try for the Saints with scores from Matty Ashurst and Reece Lyne. Last year's Grand Final winners moved up a gear after the break, with tries for Joe Greenwood and Jordan Turner. Richard Owen's late try for Wakefield made it tight once more, but the successful goal kicking from Tommy Makinson ultimately proved to be the difference between the two sides in a 20-16 success for Saints.