Both of the FA Cup third round matches played last night ended in draws after late equalisers, so Everton and West Ham, and Scunthorpe and Chesterfield will have to do it all again before we know which teams will feature in the fourth round.

Everton 1 West Ham United 1

Roberto Martinez has been a worried man of late, with his under pressure side failing to make the kind of impression on the Premier League (they lie 13th) that the cultured Spaniard would have wished this season. Injuries to key personnel have stalled their progress somewhat and the failure of their big money signing (£28 million), Romelu Lukaku to recreate the form he showed last term when on loan has been frustrating, with some footballing pundits hinting that the Belgian international plays better when he is trying to impress as a loanee. The fans also seem a bit dispirited of late, with the attendance a little over 22,000 to watch the game.

It had seemed likely to be another dismal result last night as the Toffees looked down the barrel of early cup defeat, until Lukaku did what he had frequently done last term and hauled his side back into the match with an injury time equaliser. Martinez breathed a sigh of relief as his side avoided the ignomy of a fifth successive defeat and they live to fight another day, with a replay at Upton Park next Tuesday. The winners will face either Doncaster Rovers or Bristol City in the next round.

In a lively first-half, Everton twice shaved the woodwork from Lukaku but also saw the Hammers go close at the other end, as the away side continued their impressive form, retaining possession when possible and working the ball confidently. West Ham took the lead ten minutes after the break, when James Collins headed in Morgan Amalfitano’s corner and had seemed the likely winners until Lokaku turned and volleyed in from Bryan Oviedo’s cross. Martinez will now hope that the striker can build on that in the league, after scoring only his first goal in seven matches.

Scunthorpe United 2 Chesterfield 2

An entertaining tie ended all-square at Glanford Park between the two Division One sides, as Chesterfield came back from two goals down to force a replay thanks to Jay O’Shea’s late strike. Scunthorpe took the lead through Chelsea loanee, Alex Davey’s 20 yard strike into the top corner and capitalised on an error by Ritchie Humphreys to extend the advantage going into half-time, as Lyle Taylor scored for them.

‘The Iron’ could not maintain their lead though, as the prolific Eoin Doyle scored his 22nd goal of the season from the penalty spot with twenty minutes to play and substitute O’Shea’s late strike brought parity to the scoreline five minutes from the end. The winners of the replay will face Derby County in the fourth round.

Don't miss our page on Facebook!
Click to read more