Sheffield United 2 Tottenham 2 (Spurs go through 3-2 on aggregate)

Tottenham ensured that it will be an all-London final in the (appropriately named) Capital One Cup this year, as they endured a late fight back by League One Sheffield United last night, before clinching the semi-final thanks to a second goal from Christian Eriksen. After somewhat fortuitously edging the home leg thanks to an Andros Townsend penalty, they had seemed completely in command yesterday as the game entered its final stages, as Eriksen had already boosted their advantage on the night.

Yet, a remarkable three minute period that saw the home side score two seemingly priceless goals through substitute Che Adams, almost rescued United only for Eriksen to pop up again with a vital strike.

There was no hint of the late drama that would follow, as Spurs looked to have put the tie beyond Nigel Clough's side, when they took the lead at a snowy Bramall Lane thanks to Eriksen. It came just minutes after Harry Kane looked to have wasted a good opportunity of his own for the visitors, as he drove down the left side of the box but fired his shot into the side netting, with the angle reducing all the time. Tottenham were awarded a free-kick to the right of the penalty area in the 28th minute, which seemed best suited to a left-footed in-swinging cross, yet Eriksen chose instead to take aim with his right-foot instead.

The result was an exquisite inch-perfect execution, as the ball went into the net off the angle of post and bar.

Five minutes later, Kane was freed down the left, cleverly cut back inside the defender and fired in a right foot shot that the keeper did well to block with his feet. It kept United in the game, but still requiring two goals to force extra -time and three to win on the away goal rule.

That seemed an unlikely proposition until substitute Adams made his indelible mark on the match with just thirteen minutes remaining. A break down Sheffield's right flank resulted in a Ryan Flynn cross that eluded the whole of the Spurs' defence, but found Adams sneaking in at the far post to carefully steer his right foot shot back across Michel Vorm and into the net.

Home fans exploded into life as the game was back in the balance again, after so long seemingly out of reach. They were beginning to believe in a potential miracle just two minutes later, as another Adams' shot was deflected past Vorm and into the net. Two-one on the night to United and extra-time looming.

Clough could see Wembley beckoning as his side once more broke into the Spurs' box, but Louis Reed fired his shot narrowly over the bar to hasten the ex-Liverpool player back to his seat in the dugout.

Yet, just as the managers were gearing themselves up for how they would approach the extra thirty minutes to come, Spurs broke quickly and Kane found Eriksen through the centre of the home defence.

He composed himself as so often has been the case this season, before firing home a left-foot shot into the corner to finally extinguish the Sheffield flame.

There was still time for a slightly bizarre moment in injury time, as Jan Vertonghen took exception to a challenge on his keeper Vorm and looked to grab the offending player round the neck. The referee seemed either to miss the incident or that there was no further action to take, as he decided to caution Chris Basham instead for his initial challenge.

It was a brave effort by the Blades to claw themselves back into the tie, but the extra bit of class that Eriksen has in spades proved to be the difference over the two legs. Spurs now look forward to the final against Premier League rivals Chelsea in a confident frame of mind, after their recent league victory over the Blues.