Two goals from Arsenal's Danny Welbeck and a penalty from Wayne Rooney ensured that England remain firmly on track for the European Championship finals in 2016, as they came from behind to beat Slovenia 3-1 at Wembley on Saturday. 
The match was soporific to say the least for the first half, with few if any shots to trouble either keeper. If anything, the visiting team missed the best chance as Milijove Novakovic headed just wide at the near-post. The stupor was lifted after the break when the visitors took an unexpected lead on 57 minutes. Jordan Henderson inadvertently glanced a header into his own net from a Slovenian free-kick on the left, leaving Joe Hart with no chance to make a save. 
Captain Rooney was determined that no one would upset his 100th cap celebrations and led from the front in response. Less than a minute after the goal had gone in and the Manchester United star jinked his way into the box, but had his ankles tapped from behind by Bostjan Cesar before he could shoot and down he went. The referee provided the perfect "present" to Rooney and up he stepped to convert the resultant penalty and bring England level. The goal moved Rooney level with Jimmy Greaves on 44 international goals, but there was no time for over the top celebrations, there was a game to be won. 
Suddenly, it seemed as though the shackles had been lifted from the home side, as they began to justify being heavy favourites to win the match and concerned themselves less with the heavy, pudding of a pitch they were paying on (after the NFL game and heavy rain of last weekend).

Roy Hodgson's men attacked again on 66 minutes and as the Slovenian keeper Samir Handanovic could only palm a deflected Adam Lallana shot out, Welbeck seemed to scuff his left foot return shot into the ground but was delighted to see it bobble into the net to give his side the lead.

Six minutes later and the crowd saw the best move of the match, as neat interplay for once between Kieran Gibbs, Welbeck and Raheem Sterling down the left played in Welbeck who finished neatly under the keeper.

England had all but clinched the points at 3-1 and Hodgson could finally take a breath in relief or so it seemed. Their guests were not quite finished though and as the Three Lions' team seemed to lose their focus, a shot from the edge of the box had Hart diving to his right but fizzed just too high. Slovenia came close again in injury time but England held them out and took their fourth successive group win.

England would have been unhappy at a poor challenge in the first- half from Cesar who seemed to catch Lallana flush in the face with his forearm, but the officials missed the indiscretion.

They were also forced into a change of personnel before the match as left-back Leighton Baines picked up a hamstring injury, giving an opportunity for Gibbs. With Southamption's Nathaniel Clyne preferred at right back, it meant that the defence was once again changed from the earlier group matches, leaving many pundits a little concerned with the composition and looking for continuity going forward.

It remains to be seen what personnel Hodgson decides to utilise in the friendly next week against Scotland, with perhaps an opportunity for a look at one of the other goalkeeping options and chances for the in-form Stewart Downing to resurrect his international career and Saido Berahino to make his first senior start. Berahino would be an especially interesting 'call' as big things have been predicted from the Burundi born player, who has been such a star in the under-21 squad and for West Brom this season.

On the same evening as England were progressing their qualification hopes, elsewhere in Group E the minnows from San Marino were achieving some glory of their own as they finally ended a set of 61 defeats with a goalless draw at home to Estonia. Switzerland rather more predictably defeated Lithuania 4-0 at home to ensure that England now hold a welcome six point cushion at the summit of the group.