The first five places in the last eight of the Capital One Cup (aka the League Cup) were decided last night as Bournemouth, Sheffield United, Chelsea, Derby County and Liverpool all progressed to the quarter- final stages. They are now just two wins away from the Wembley final, where the first major silverware of the season will be decided.

Bournemouth 2 West Brom 1

The Cherries reached the quarter finals for the first time in their history with a deserved victory over Premier League side West Brom. They took the lead shortly after half- time through Eunan O'Kane, but were pegged back with just five minutes to go when Tommy Elphick scored an own goal to bring parity back to the scoreline.

The teams weren't level for long though, as almost immediately Bournemouth regained the lead thanks to Callum Wilson's strike. There was still time for a couple of chances for the Baggies, but they failed to convert them and a famous win was secured for the side currently flying high in the Championship.

MK Dons 1 Sheffield United 2

Sheffield United scored two goals in the closing stages to thwart another famous night in MK Dons' recent history, as they overturned a one goal deficit to run out eventual winners in the tie between the two League One sides. The Dons had famously beaten Manchester United earlier in the competition and looked set to continue their success when Benik Afobe converted a penalty midway through the second- half.

However, the Blades are cup fighters and drew level from a Michael Higdon header four minutes from time and then the same player scored again deep into injury time to snatch the game.

Shrewsbury 1 Chelsea 2

The potential banana skin of the round saw League 2 side Shrewsbury take on Jose Mourinho's Premier title chasing and still undefeated Chelsea (top of the league) at the Greenhous Meadow Stadium.

Neither the slightly heavy pitch nor the apparent lack of available players to select from (despite reportedly sending up to 26 players out on loan this season) seemed to suit the wealthy London club in the first-half, as a number of men on the fringe of the first team got their chance. It had been an uncomfortable night until their veteran striker (and captain for the night) Didier Drogba popped up three minutes into the second half, to score the goal that everyone expected would push the tie beyond the Shrews' reach.

They didn't seem to have read the script though as following a header from a corner that was initially blocked, sub Andy Mangan was on hand to crack the rebound into the net. Just as the crowd were preparing for a final onslaught from the home side, the Blues went back in front with nine minutes to play, as Jermaine Grandison turned a delicious Willian cross into his own net and Chelsea held on to go through.

Fulham 2 Derby County 5

Two clinical finishes by Moussa Dembele in the first-half after Derby mistakes looked to have put the Cottagers into a strong position, but Chris Martin's converted injury time penalty just before the break put a different complexion on the tie and gave Derby hope.

The momentum had truly switched and the Rams took control in the second period, running in four goals and proving convincing winners. Johnny Russell, Jeff Hendrick and a brace from Simon Dawkins were the goalscorers to push Derby into the last eight draw.

Liverpool 2 Swansea City 1

Mario Balotelli took the tentative first steps towards changing his doubters' minds, by coming off the bench to pull the Reds back into a tie that they had looked to be going out of, after Marvin Emnes had put the Swans into a 65th minutes lead slightly against the run of play. The Italian international seemed to have picked up a niggle in his knee in pre-match warm up, but put that aside in scoring from fringe striker Fabio Borini's cross with just four minutes remaining.

The Reds' hopes were boosted when Federico Fernandez was sent for the Welsh side in injury time, and moments later they capitalised when Dejan Lovren headed in the winner five minutes into injury time.

Wednesday night sees the remaining fourth round ties concluded as holders Manchester City host Newcastle United, Stoke welcome Southampton to the Potteries and Spurs play Brighton at White Hart Lane.