A Jamie Peacock inspired Leeds Rhinos marched on to the Challenge Cup final yesterday, with a sweltering semifinal win against their cup nemeses Warrington Wolves at St Helen's Langtree Park ground. Leeds had lost to their opponents twice in recent cup finals in 2010 and 2012, and have also featured in another four finals without success since last tasting glory in the game's feature event in 1999. Their hunger to finally lift the cup was clear throughout as they edged an entertaining match by a final margin of only eight points. They will now play either Castleford Tigers or Widnes Vikings in the Wembley showpiece on 23rd August.

The win had much to do with a dominant first half display, where they scored 14 points without reply, including clinical conversions from captain Kevin Sinfield from the touchline, monopolising both possession and field position. Their siege mentality was established from the off with their decision to take an early two point penalty to move ahead on the scoreboard. Successive repeat sets stretched Warrington's reserves without reward until Ryan Hall scored a trademark single handed try in the corner. He added a 'regulation' second later in the half with a simple run in after a brilliant pass from Danny McGuire took out the Wolves' defence.

Sinfield back after a two match ban for a head-butt showed precision throughout with the boot (only missing one conversion) which was crucial in keeping Leeds just too far ahead despite a spirited Warrington comeback.

After a torrid first 40 minutes, the Wolves shaped up much better after the break, scoring quickly following a high up and under to the corner, winger Joel Monaghan outjumping Ryan Hall and playing in Chris Bridge for an unconverted try.

Joel Moon, sporting a head bandage after a knock earlier in the match, capped a flowing move for Leeds to score and push them further ahead on the scoreboard.

Sinfield hooked the conversion wide of the left upright.

The Wolves continued to impress though as Leeds seemed to tire, with a slick passing move enabling Stefan Ratchford to go over for a converted try. The momentum seemed to be swinging their way, only for an opportunistic interception and subsequent try by international winger Tom Briscoe for Leeds to seem to have killed off their comeback, as he skillfully changed hands and fended off pursuer Rhys Evans to go under the posts.

The resultant conversion putting Leeds into a seemingly unassailable lead at 24-10 with twenty minutes remaining.

Warrington refused to go quietly and added a somewhat fortuitous try from Ben Westwood, after Leeds players had fought for possession and batted the ball backwards to inadvertently play the forward onside. The try was converted to bring the score back to 24-16, but that was as close as they got, Leeds finally running down the clock to take a 24-16 victory.