The Moorish Castle and its surrounding fortifications were built in or around 1160, but now sport a British flag. Some of the castle was destroyed while the Spanish re-conquered the territory between 1309 and 1333. Renovations were made but certain parts still show the battle scars from sieges during the war. The lower part of the castle originally ran down to Casemates Square and the Grand Battery area. The courtyard of the castle was used as a prison up until 2010.