The Berlin Museum of Medical History was originally founded by Rudolf Virchow in 1899. Before he died in 1902, Virchow added over 23,000 specimens to the museum. It was then used for medical education. Bombing in WWII destroyed all but 1,800 specimens. It was reopened in 1998 and now houses 10,000 specimens, many of which are extremely disturbing, with foetal specimens showing rare deformities. Anyone under 16 can only enter with a guardian due to the disturbing nature of some specimens.