Mali is under attack for the second time in as many years

#Mali last year experienced an #Attack similar to Saturday's attack and in the same location, Bamako. Last year terrorists attacked a hotel called Radisson Blu in Mali, the attack left Mali in a state of emergency, which was recently extended again this year in April. In last year's attack, there were 20 casualties, six of the dead were Malians and the rest, 14 of them, foreigners.

In Saturday's attack, residents reported hearing shots fired and seeing smoke coming from the direction of the resort. Mali's security ministry stated that at least two people have been killed by armed men who attacked the luxury resort Campement de Kangaba which is located at least 10 kilometres outside the city.

Advertisements
Advertisements

The luxury resort is said to be a location that is frequented by top officials and foreigners. "It is a jihadist attack. Malian special forces intervened and about 20 hostages have been released," Security Minister Salif Traore told AFP news agency "Unfortunately for the moment there are two dead, including a Franco-Gabonese."

Reports from the location are sparse because at the moment this is a developing story and the attack and its containment are still in progress. There was information that an attack was imminent which prompted the U.S Embassy in Mali to issue a security warning on June 9th. It cited an increased threat of attacks. They listed diplomatic missions, churches, resorts, hotels, restaurants and other places in Bamako where Westerners frequent among potential targets and encouraged its citizens to stay away from those locations which have poor security measures in place.

Advertisements

Mali and her neighbour's terror history

Since 2013 the situation in Mali has been on a consistent decline. This coincided with the time when the French forces named Bakhane came to the aid of its colony by repelling allied Islamists and Tuareg rebel fighters from parts in the country's North.

A 12,000-strong force of UN Peacekeepers called MINUSMA and an estimated 11,000 French forces have been battling to help stabilise Mali. The peacekeepers have also been the aim of frequent attacks.

Burkina Faso was also attacked on January 2016, the attack was at a top hotel plus a nearby restaurant in the nation's capital Ouagadougou. Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) claimed responsibility for this attack in which 30 people died. In March 2016 there was another attack on an Ivorian Beach Resort called Grand-Bassam, responsibility was also claimed by AQIM.

http://uk.blastingnews.com/london/2017/06/six-dead-in-terrorist-attack-in-london-001748159.html

http://uk.blastingnews.com/tech/2017/05/cyber-attack-hits-150-countries-us-government-microsoft-warn-of-weaknesses-001699829.html