With the Real vs Atletico ending in a 0-0 stalemate on Saturday evening, the #La Liga derby stole the headlines for the unceremonious reception #Antoine Griezmann received from his once-adoring fan base.

Sat third in Group C, Atletico's Champions League nightmare leaves them on the brink of an early demotion to the Europa League and Los Colchoneros are already trying to chase down a 10 point deficit to #Barcelona. Diego Simeone's problems have been epitomised by the form of the Euro 2016 Golden Boot winner. After failing to commit his future to Atletico among last summers' speculation, Griezmann has failed to find the net in his last seven appearances for Simeone's side and a move away from the Wanda Metropolitano seems almost inevitable.

Advertisements
Advertisements

From the Wanda to the Bernabeu

For the French international he could be tempted to stay local. Although moving between the two Madrid clubs is considered sacrilege, it seems like Real boss Zinedine Zidane is desperate to test their rivals resolve.

Griezmann currently has a £90million release clause and the Daily Mail are reporting that the defending La Liga and Champions League winners are willing to sell Gareth Bale in order to raise funds to trigger Griezmann's release clause. With three-time Ballon d'Or winner Cristiano Ronaldo now 32 and with only one goal in La Liga this year, the Portuguese superstar is another player who seems to have a one-way ticket out of the Spanish capital.

Advertisements

Coupled with Karim Benzema turning 30 next month, the 26-year-old Griezmann could be the man to lead Madrid's new attacking trio.

The potential swap has also gathered momentum after Atletico boss Diego Simeone dropped a cryptic message regarding a potential transfer. In the pre-match press conference prior to Saturday's Madrid derby, the Argentian tactician said: "Madrid takes all the good guys in the league."

A move to Catalonia?

Although Griezmann appears to be the name topping every European giant's wishlist, La Liga leaders Barcelona appear to be the team leading the race for the star's signature. Last week reports coming out of France have announced that a "deal has been agreed" for the 26-year-old to move to the Camp Nou next year.

But, this is football and nothing is straightforward. Despite it appearing that a move to Catalonia was all but complete, it appears that Barcelona boss Ernesto Valverde could have some reservations over the French forward. With Griezmann's potential Barcelona salary only to be eclipsed by talisman Lionel Messi, the La Liga giants could be sceptical of a big money offer for Griezmann after an inconsistent season.

Advertisements

After the departure of Neymar to PSG last summer, Barcelona has already invested £90million on the services of 20-year-old Ousmane Dembele from Borussia Dortmund. Although Griezmann is still a man on Barcelona's watchlist, the likes of Liverpool's Philippe Coutinho and Chelsea's Eden Hazard are considered to be other viable options.

Joining up with Jose

Last summer it was the transfer rumour that was plastered over every back page across Europe. In May, Griezmann whipped the Old Trafford faithful into a frenzy when he confirmed it was possible a move to Manchester could have been completed. While appearing as a guest on French TV show Quotidien in May, Griezmann was asked about the possibility on a scale of one to 10, the French star responded with "Six".

Now six months on, it appears that although Jose Mourinho was angered by the 26-year-olds last minute change of heart in the summer, the Portuguese boss is lining up a second attempt to bring the Euro 2016 star to Old Trafford. With Griezmann snubbing Mourinho's advances in order to sign a new deal at Atletico until 2021, the former Real Sociedad man has reportedly told his Athletico teammates that he now regrets rejecting the move to the red half of Manchester.

SkySports La Liga correspondent Guillem Balague insists that a Griezmann Atletico exit is inevitable and the Premier League giants sit with Barcelona as the favourites for his signature. Talking to SkySports, Balague said: "The club, I know, feel that he will leave in the summer, with United and Barcelona favourites to sign him."