On Thursday, Floyd Mayweather took another moment to mock #UFC fighter #Conor Mcgregor, in a video posted on Instagram. The video contained footage of Conor McGregor tapping out to Nate Diaz at UFC 196 earlier in the year.

Mayweather, ever the philanthropist, offered a whopping $10,000 to whoever posted the best caption to the footage. Mayweather ended the video by stating "49-0 vs Connor the Notorious Quitter". Later in the evening, once more on Instagram, Mayweather referred to the UFC lightweight champion as "Conor McTapout" and promised to "slap the shit out of Mcgregor when I see him".

A Pipe Dream

Earlier this month, McGregor acquired a #Boxing licence in California.

Advertisements
Advertisements

However, despite the continuing heated back and forth, a fight between two of fighting's most valuable stars appears to be unlikely. When asked about a potential McGregor vs Mayweather crossover bout, UFC president Dana White told Yahoo: "It's fun to discuss this fight and what might happen, but what commission would let that fight happen? Really, think about that".

Recently, the Nevada commission faced staunch criticism for sanctioning a fight between Micky Gall and thirty eight year old former professional wrestler CM Punk, who had previously never trained in MMA. "It would take McGregor three years to get in boxing shape to face Mayweather", said legendary trainer Freddie in a recent interview.

CEO of Mayweather Promotions, Leonard Ellerbe, referred to McGregor's acquisition of a boxing licence as a con job.

Advertisements

"It's all a game. It's all calculated to get more fans". Alternatively, McGregor's boxing licence has been perceived as a ploy to gain extra leverage in the UFC rather than a move to compete in a boxing match. Mayweather, though, continues to challenge the Irishman McGregor. "I called Nate Diaz for tips on how to beat you.I see what you did to him and I'm going to put the finishing touches on him."

Floyd Mayweather retired from boxing in September 2015, leaving with a 49-0 professional record after defeating Andre Berto. In November, the UFC announced that McGregor had vacated his featherweight title after failing to defend it in the allocated time period. McGregor, who will be appearing in the next two seasons of HBO's Game of Thrones, adamantly denies the UFC's claims.